The Historical Marker Project


    The John Philip Sousa Foundation Historical Marker Project involves the identification of concert sites throughout the United States and Canada where John Philip Sousa and his band performed.

   


     The Historical Marker is a handsome aluminum plaque, 12'' x 15'', suitable for indoor mounting. It is designed to be placed in locations such as an auditorium, gymnasium, or bandstand.  Each plaque is personalized with the place and date of the Sousa Band concert, the name of the donor, and the date of presentation. (See the replica below.) 

   


    It is helpful if the recipient can send a copy of clippings, programs, or other material that will establish the date of the concert.  A tax exempt donation of $295.00 may be given to The John Philip Sousa Foundation which covers all costs including shipping.


For additional information, please contact:


Douglas Harter (Historical Marker Chairman)



9818 West State Road



Delphos, Ohio 45833


Phone: 419-692-1321 • Email: harter3@hotmail.com.



The following are among the concert venues and locations which have installed Historical Markers:


  • Center for the Arts - Valparaiso University - Valparaiso, Indiana
  • Columbia Concert Band
     - Columbia, South Carolina  
  • Purdue University
     - West Lafayette, Indiana  
  • Lee University
     - Cleveland, Tennessee  
  • Quincy Park Band
     - Quincy, Illinois  
  • Richmond City Auditorium
     - Virginia Commonwealth University
     - Richmond, Virginia  
  • Texas Tech University
     - Lubbock, Texas
  • The City of Terre Haute
     - Terre Haute, Indiana    
  • University of Kansas - 
    Hoch Auditorium
     - Lawrence, Kansas
  • Brazil Concert Band
     - Brazil, Indiana   
  • Ware County High Band and Azaela Winds Community Band - 
    Waycross, Georgia